FRO 8: Worlds Edge
- Player Characters
- Character Creation
- Core Creation TutorialHouse Rulessetting:economy
The Colonial Economy
Upon arriving in the colony, every samurai will quickly feel the new economics of the place. Storms have swept away houses and farms, leaving building materials and food at premiums so high that even the wealthiest samurai around are eating little better than poor samurai back in the mainland, living in cramped conditions, barely able to afford the cost of an unskilled heimin servant's time. Click here to view more details about lifestyle.
Even more than in mainland Rokugan, exchanges of 'gifts' are commonly bartered, except the gifts are increasingly practical in nature. Koku is rarely used, if at all, particularly by lower classes. After all, you can't eat a coin. Very useful items are suddenly in much higher demand, and with supplies and labor so limited, the samurai of World's Edge must make do with what they have or make more of it.
Of course, even someplace like Rokugan, where the handling of money is considered distasteful, the economy is shaped by the people. The demands of consumers determine what suppliers must offer, and what suppliers offer determines the urgency of the demand. Beyond that, the clever can manipulate these markets through financial savvy, and will certainly be able to reap great profits with those distasteful skills.
There are many different resources required to survive in the colony, including the people. Using the influence system, factions can gain greater control over differing resources in play. Resources and Raw Materials can be found here.
- Heimin laborers, from masons and scribes to the farmers and construction workers, are incredibly valuable in the colony to the point the wealthiest colonial samurai must save up to pay for their services for an afternoon. Heimin make up the bulk of the colonial population, and ensuring that they have enough food and shelter to survive and keep working is vital to the survival of the rest of the colony.
- Building materials are essential to creating housing, boats, defenses, docks, and the host of items and equipment that the colonists need from day to day. From the lumber gathered from trees and ships to local grasses suitable for weaving baskets or tatami, the colonists have to build their shelter from what they have, as Rokugan will not be sending such things so far anytime soon.
- Food is the most important resource needed for the colony's survival. Many farms were destroyed, so the need to salvage and expand them, as well as the need to grow still more, is great. Fishing, fortunately, is easy enough if the weather allows. There are a few local plants that are rumored to be safe for eating, but surely no samurai would stoop to testing that theory…
Please note that there have been serious changes to equipment values due to the colonial economy. Otherwise-common items in Rokugan are tightly rationed here due to limited supplies or sheer necessity, and to get more than one's share requires considerable finagling– which is to say, delving into the seedier and less-legal techniques of gaining said items. This has led to rumors that there may be some form of black market for such things.
Below is a table of items. See your lifestyle ranks to know how often your character might have access to items.
Key to Value Tags
- Same- the price is unchanged from Rokugani value
- Low- the price is half of Rokugani value
- High- the price is twice (2x) the core book value
- Very High- the price is three times (3x) the core book value
- Rare- there are limited supplies and/or crafters of this item
- Crafted- this item can be crafted
- Rationed- this item can only be acquired illegally
Item Rokugan Price Colony Value Backpack 3 zeni same Ball, Kemari 5 zeni same Baskets 1 zeni Crafted, same Blacksmith’s hammer 3 bu Crafted, Rationed Blanket 1 bu same Bottle of Bleach/Dye 1 bu Rare, same Bottle of Sake 1 bu High Bottle of Shochu 2 bu High, rare Bottle, Empty 1 zeni High Books and Scrolls 1-10 bu Very High, Crafted Bowyer’s Kit 2 bu High Brazier 1 bu High, Rationed Bucket 1 zeni High, Rationed Carpentry tools (saw, hammer, tappers) 3 bu Crafted, Rationed Candle 1 bu Crafted, Rationed Chest, metal 8 bu Very High, Crafted Chest, wood 2 bu Very High, Crafted Chopsticks 1 zeni same Cloth, Silk Bolt 2 koku High Coin Purse 3 zeni same Daisho Stand 1 koku same, Crafted Dice and Dice Cup 25 zeni same Divination Kit 1 bu same Finger of Jade 1 koku, if it can be found Same price, less rare Fishing Kit 10 zeni Same, Crafted Flint and Steel 1 zeni same Furoshiki Sack 1 zeni same Games, Traveling 1 bu + High– entertainment Grapple Hook 1 bu High– useful Kiseru (pipe) 3 zeni same Kubi Bukuro 2 zeni same Lantern, paper 1 bu Low–waste of paper Lantern, metal 4 bu High–most efficient light Lantern oil 3 zeni/flask Very High, Rationed Lucky cricket 4 bu Low–enough bugs already Medicine Kit 1 bu+ High, Rationed Mirror 3 bu- 2 koku same Mortar and Pestle 2 bu same Musical Instruments 1 - 5 bu High, rare Palanquin 10 koku Low–waste of materials Paper 1 bu/5 sheets Very High Parchment and Charcoal 3 zeni/10 of each High Personal Seal or Chop 4 bu same Pet 1 koku Reduces lifestyle by 1 Pillow Book 3 zeni to 1 koku High Pot, Iron 15 zeni same Quiver 20 zeni same Rope 5 zeni/foot of decent quality High Sake Cup 1 bu same Shovel 5 zeni High, Rationed Small Back Banner 1 koku Low Small Folding Stool 3 bu Low Small Knife 5 zeni Low Small Painting or Sculpture 3 bu Same Small Statue of Fortune/Ancestor 1 koku Same, rare Spices 1-5 bu for small bottle Low Sweets 1 bu/4 servings High, Rare, Crafted Tatami Mat 2 zeni High, Crafted Tattoo Needles 1 bu/set Low Tea Set 1 koku High, Crafted Tent, Chomchong* 20 koku Very High, Rationed– housing Tent, Small 1 koku High– housing Tent, Yurt 10 koku Very High, Rationed– housing Traveling Rations 5 zeni/meal High Umbrella 2 bu High Walking Stick 1 zeni low, 'Crafted' Whetstone 1 zeni low Writing Box (sumi e) 1 bu High Cap, courtier’s 2 bu low, crafted Fan, Courtier’s 10 zeni+ High, Crafted Hakama 75 zeni High, Crafted Haori 25 zeni low, Crafted Kataginu 40 zeni low, crafted Kimono, simple 1 bu-1 koku High, crafted Kimono, fashionable 1 koku+ same, crafted Kimono, colonial* Not invented yet! ??? Makeup Kit 1 koku low Mask 3 bu Crafted, same Netsuke 1 bu Crafted, same Obi Pouch 25 zeni Crafted, High Perfume 2 bu/small bottle Crafted, same Sandals 50 zeni Crafted, High Snow Shoes 2 bu Low, rare Traveling Cloak 75 zeni Crafted, same Wide-brimmed straw hat 1 zeni Crafted, same War Paint, vial 3 bu Low, rare Wig 1 bu each same Mosquito netting N/A 1 koku/5 sq feet Weapons and Armor variable Crafted only
Raw Materials and Crafting Resources
Resource Needed For Unit Cost Colony Value Alchemical Alchemy, Cooking, Brewing, Poison, Medicine 1 zeni/unit - Clay Armor, Pottery, Construction 1 zeni/10 units - Cloth Tailoring, Bandages 1 zeni/unit (cheap); 5 zeni/unit (fine) - Food Cooking, Brewing, not dying 1 zeni/unit - Glass Artisan, Crafts 3 bu/unit Low Ink Artisan, Correspondence, Crafts 1 bu/unit - Metal Smithing, Weapons 5 zeni/unit - Paper Correspondence, Construction 1 zeni/unit High Plant Alchemy, Crafts, Construction, Fabric, Medicine, Poison 1 zeni/10 units - Sacred The Empire 1 koku/unit - Stone Artisan, Construction 1 zeni/unit - Wood Armor, Construction, Paper, Weapons 1 zeni/unit Highsetting/economy.txt · Last modified: 2016/09/09 04:24 by Helle